Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"The Help"

OK, I have made a commitment to myself to read at least one book a month. Or in other words this is apart of my resolution. My friend Jen has a one up on me and reading 2 books a month. Something I don't have the urge or motivation to do.
I came upon this book while I was finishing up my clinicals for school. I was assigned to hand out trays of food to the residents and one of the women there had this book. They say don't judge a book by its cover. I know they are talking about people but I do judge books by their covers. I thought it was very pretty and when I asked what it was about, all she said was racism. How can a book with such a beautiful cover be about racism. I had to read it myself and seeing that the hubs got me a kindle for Christmas, I took the chance and got it. Let me tell you... this book is amazing! Its one of those books where you can feel like your there. OK, it is about racism. But its so much more than that. Its the story of 'black' maids and the people they take care of, the babies they raise and horrible way they are treated. And the 'white' woman that wants to change it. An on the edge kind of book. The ending though got me quite upset though. I wish it was different. I don't want to reveal too much. So if you want to see what I'm talking about then read this. I recommend it to everyone. Mostly women I guess but whatever floats your boat.


No comments:

Post a Comment