Friday, January 21, 2011

My Mormon obsession..



So I was challenged today by my best friend Marty to write about my baptism. Well I thought I would go even further and tell you why I made the decision to join the "Church of Jesus Christ."

I have always had this weird obsession with the Mormon religion. I don't know if it was our Mormon neighbors that used to come over and try and convert my parents and gave us a "Book of Mormon" every Christmas or all the weird stuff I heard about Mormons. A bit of both maybe. Growing up I was told to never open the door to Mormon Missionaries or Jehovah Witnesses. This was so embedded in my mind that I even made a game out of it with my little brother, who is 17 years younger than I am. We would hear the door bell and I would tell him to hide and they would go away. And if he was really quiet and got them to go away then we won the game. I realize now that I should have never have done that and live in regret. I don't ever want my brother to grow up and judge people.

In high school I came in contact with a lot of kids from the church and asked questions but I guess they thought I was being rude. I did come off kind of rude and most of the time they thought I was joking with them. I would never have asked my parents because we were HARDCORE Catholics. I did what all good catholic girls did; baptism, first communion, and of course me being Mexican, having a quincenera. But to be honest, my parents were not even practicing catholics. We went to church on certain days. Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Easter and a few Sundays here and there. 

So for being so fanatic about Mormons, one would think that I would seek them out. Ask questions and maybe attend church. No Sir. Not me. I went through a few Christian religions in high school. I had an amazing relationship with God. We were bffs. But something happened. I can't explain it. It feels like the lines were cut. I didn't know how to get it back. I went to different churches up until I was 23. By this time I was married and my husband and I didn't know where we stood with God or religion in general. 

Now this is where Marty comes in. Marty and I knew each other from high school but never hung out until much later. I would make fun of him and tell him he was going to hell if he drank soda. But he knew that I was just joking with him and I loved him. Marty would always tell me I was a Mormon deep down inside because of the lifestyle I have led since I was 17. No drugs, no alcohol, no smoking. I told him it wasn't for me. That I was ok with being non-religious. But then I remembered all those crazy rumors. Then I got curious. I started asking questions. His reply was either "I'll ask my dad" or "You should ask a missionary." That wasn't good enough for me. And then one day Marty told me he was going on a mission and that he was going to meet with the missionaries. HELLO!!! I jumped at the chance to listen in on this meeting. Key word being "listen." I didn't want any questions or lessons being directed towards me at all. But I was so wrong. 

Let me introduce Elder Whimpey. The most amazing person that anyone could ever meet. The way he talks and takes everything in. He told me to ask him the most stupidest or offensive questions that I have ever had about the church. Oh I went there. There wasn't a rock unturned when I left from those lessons. There was no secret rituals or weird rules. Just pure honesty.



Elder Whimpey had many companions. I never got to actually get to know any of them; except Elder Fowler. Fowler came right before the hubs and I were baptized. Another amazing man. Now I could sit here and brag about the friendship that flourished between us all but as I continue to attend church and read the scriptures, I am learning more and more. And it feels good. The lines of communication are opening up again. Usually in church we give our testimony. And right now I can honestly testify to you that I know this church is true. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet. And I know that there is a prophet on earth today (*which blows my mind.) Seriously, I urge anyone who has ever had any questions about the church, don't be afraid to open the door to those missionaries. Don't close the door in their faces. They are not a threat. I say all this in Jesus' name. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. We love your Blogs, keep'em coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. we? hehe! awesome! Thanks for the love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was asking marcos why you became mormon.... this clears up a lot... thanks ;) -F dawg

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know Im re-reading this and feel like I left so many things out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! It was fun getting to know you two at Christmas! Glad to see you are still doing good.

    ReplyDelete